Tuesday, June 10, 2014

One Year update and our weekend trip

What can I say to sum up a whole year? This time a year ago, I was in Georgia with my friends Katie and Neil waiting to hear more news on Justin’s condition. My parents were on their way up from Florida. I had no clue where life would take us at that point. When I packed my suitcase, I figured that I would be gone for a few weeks until he got well enough to continue his rehab and such at Ft. Stewart. I could not have been more wrong. One year later and we’re still at Walter Reed and it’s looking like we won’t be leaving for another year (unless the paperwork for the Army and VA get through with no/minimal mistakes which the chances are slim to none of that happening).

After he was injured, Justin spent about 6 weeks inpatient. He was on quite a cocktail of pain medication and remembers very little about those first 6 weeks post-injury. I’ve been asked how many surgeries he’s had, and I honestly can’t remember because it’s been so many. He’s been readmitted to inpatient four times due to one or both legs not healing properly. Since the most recent time in March, both legs are finally closed! Also since March, Justin has gotten off all of the pain medication (aside from meds for his nerve pain), and he feels 100% better. Justin’s been on two legs for a month now and is doing great. He’s still working to find a balance between overdoing and pushing himself. He definitely can’t be accused of slacking when it comes to working toward getting better. Now his progress is dependent on his effort rather than waiting for his body to heal which was out of his control. His occupational therapist told him this morning that he’s about to the point where he won’t need OT anymore, so they’re going to be transitioning him from one hour of PT and one hour of OT to two hours of PT. (For those who don’t know the difference, OT works more with regaining the ability to do activities of daily living and PT works more on regaining strength and mobility.) He’s definitely making some great progress!

I know I’ve said a lot about Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing over the last year, and I’ve got more to say. Some of the other non-profits have helped us out a great deal, but PHW is the only one that we see every week and multiple times in a week if there’s a fishing trip. This past weekend was a fishing trip weekend. The thing that was the most different about this trip is that Justin was able to fish standing up for the first time since he was injured. He did a great job walking (with a cane) on uneven terrain and keeping his balance while casting and reeling in the fish…and he caught some nice fish. Corey had a great time hitching a ride on the various golf carts and ATVs and playing with the other kids. He got to help Justin’s teammate pick out which flies to use (and was given flies for his own box by quite a few of the volunteers). At dinner, a couple of the participants got up to tell their stories of how PHW has helped them. It got me thinking. Every participant has their own story, and I’d guess that the volunteers and staff have stories to tell as well. The story of how it all got started is pretty neat too. It all started with the founder of PHW having to be hospitalized at Walter Reed. As he was recovering, he saw the things they were doing in the occupational therapy areas to help with fine motor skills and that got him to thinking about how fly tying could help and it grew from there. Now there are PHW chapters in 49 of the 50 states (and they’re working on state #50). For Justin, it’s a chance to hang out with people who have similar interests. They’re people who have been in similar situations and are also overcoming obstacles. The volunteers come every week and are such an encouragement. Fishing is the overall theme, but there’s so much more to it than catching fish. You can see it the most at the fishing trips. At the beginning of the day, everyone’s kind of tired and more subdued. They introduce themselves to the people who came from other chapters and to the volunteers and make small talk. By the end of the day, everyone is swapping stories and talking like they’ve know each other for years. E-mail addresses and phone numbers are exchanged, new friends are added on Facebook, and friendships are formed.

Then there’s the other aspect of it…being out on the water. Project Healing Waters is not a religious organization, but the concept of healing waters is. In Psalm 23, David wrote “he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul.” Jesus talks about being the Living Water. In Bethesda (the Biblical one, not the one in Maryland – though here at Walter Reed in Bethesda, MD, God has healed many people through medical advances and some amazing doctors), people with various infirmities waited by a pool for an angel to stir up the waters, and then they’d jump in and hope to be healed. Even fishing is mentioned in the Bible. Being a fisherman prior to being chosen as a disciple is the highest percentage of Jesus’ disciples. As a kid, I learned the song “Peace Like a River”. The hymn “It is Well With my Soul” start out with the phrase “When peace like a river attendeth my way”. God is the only one who can bring true healing and peace, but I believe that he can use circumstances and surroundings to help. Bring out on the water, I feel the stress melt away, and I can just sit and enjoy the sounds of the water, hear the birds chirping, and just relax. When we moved to Georgia from Germany, we were house hunting. We didn’t like living so close to so many other people and wanted some peace and quiet. We were blessed to find a house to rent right on a tidal creek. I loved being able to walk out the back door and be able to just sit and watch the water. This kind of relaxation is so important for so many people. For Justin, going to appointments every day and dealing with the bureaucratic red tape, hearing the sounds of construction, traffic, and sirens is draining. Project Healing Waters gives him the opportunity to get away from all that and just relax. Catching fish is the object, but so much more is accomplished on these trips.

Over the past year, we’ve had ups and downs, progress and setbacks, blessings and frustrations. I’ve asked God “why?” more times than I can remember. I don’t believe that questioning the purpose of all this is wrong. I think it shows that I have faith that God has a reason even though I don’t always see it or understand it. God may not always clearly show me the reasons, but I know that He will bring us through the difficult times. He’s brought us through the past year and hopefully the worst is behind us. He’s blessed us in ways we never expected. He’s provided in ways we never even thought to ask both in big and small ways. Thinking about what the future holds is both exciting and scary. I’m so thankful that I know that God is in control and nothing that happens is a surprise to Him. I don’t know why Justin was injured, but I’m thankful that God protected him from worse injuries and death. I’m thankful for the men that were up on the mountain with Justin that saved his life. I’m thankful for the doctors and nurses that have helped Justin in the healing process. I’m thankful for the therapists who have helped Justin get to where he is today. I’m thankful for family and friends who have helped us and encouraged us along this journey. I’m thankful for Justin and his determined spirit. He doesn’t let his injuries keep him down. He pushes himself and keeps a good sense of humor (warped as it may be). We are blessed in so many ways.



He caught his first fish of the day STANDING!



No comments:

Post a Comment