Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day

Yesterday marked one year since both Justin and I arrived at Walter Reed. A year ago he was worn out from his flight from Germany, was in ICU, and the doctors were working to get his pain under control. We were unsure as to whether or not he would be able to keep his knees. We didn't know much of anything other than the fact he was alive and were together. Corey was in Georgia with my parents. They were waiting until after his first and only tee-ball game before they took him down to Florida for a while. Today is Father's Day. Last year on Father's day, Justin wasn't able to spend the day with Corey, but he did get to spend it with his dad, mom, brothers, and sister. This year he got to spend the day with Corey, his Granny, cousin, sister, and me. Yesterday he was walking around and fishing. He's come so far in the past year, and he feels so much better...especially over the last few months. It's amazing and I'm so thankful. It made my heart happy yesterday watching everyone have such a good time together, away from the hospital, and in such good health.
Happy Father's day to all my dad friends and family! I'm thankful for my Heavenly Father who loves me and has never left my side. I may not always understand the paths life takes me, but I've never walked them alone. I'm thankful for my dad. He has taught me many things like how to change a tire, how to use a computer, and how to use Microsoft Excel (I know he'll laugh at that when he reads this). He went with me to school field trips and even learned to play the saxophone so that he could join my sister and me in band. He came to Germany to be there for Corey's birth, and has done a lot with Corey over the past year when Corey was in Florida with him and my mom. I'm thankful for Justin. I love seeing him and Corey together. Whether it's cuddling on the couch or helping Justin fish, every moment seeing the two of them is precious. I'm thankful for my father-in-law who raised Justin and taught him to be the man he is today. I'm thankful for my grandfathers and the many opportunities I had to spend with them when I was younger. I'm thankful that I still am able to spend time with them - not as often since I live further away, but I am blessed to still have them around. I'm thankful for my brothers-in-law that, along with my sisters, have given me 1 sweet little niece and 3 precious little nephews. I am blessed to have these awesome dads - by birth and by marriage - in my life.

what a difference a year makes

love these two!

Justin's first time holding Corey

my dad holding Corey for the first time

Justin seeing Corey for the first time post-injury

No comments:

Post a Comment