Thursday, November 20, 2014

Unbreakable Bonds

Tonight I would like to tell you about a book that I just finished reading. Unlike most of the books I read, this one isn’t fiction. Also unlike most of the stories I read, I already knew the ending to most of the chapters. It was like reading the conclusion of a story first and then going back and finding out how the characters got to that point, except the characters in this book are real people, many of whom I have met and see on a regular basis. This book is about ten of the “Mighty Moms” of Walter Reed and their wounded sons and daughter.



Their stories and my own are different in perspective, and each wounded warrior and his/her family have a different story to tell, but there are many similarities. For them, it was an adult son or daughter that was injured; for me it was my husband. For them, they had to leave behind jobs, spouses, and often, other children that were/are still at home so that they could care for their wounded child. For me, the life I once lived no longer exists. I had to leave my young son (age 3 ½ when his daddy was injured) with family for a while so that I could take care of Justin’s needs when he was inpatient. For many of them, they both cared for their wounded adult child and a younger child or grandchild. For me, I cared for my injured husband and my young son once Justin was released to outpatient care. We all received that horrible call that our loved one was injured. For them it was from the military; for me, Justin was able to call and tell me himself. He was not quite in as critical condition as the ones in the book. One thing we all have in common – the reason we all ended up at Walter Reed – is that someone we love needed us, and we came. None of us truly knew what we were getting into when we boarded the plane or jumped in the car to travel to Walter Reed, but it didn’t matter. What mattered was getting here and seeing our loved ones. We’ve experienced similar highs and lows, progress and setbacks. We’ve lived in the same building and have sat in appointments with many of the same doctors. We’ve also all been helped in some way by some of the many non-profit organizations (and most of us were at the Semper Fi Fund/America’s Fund sponsored Ladies Night Out a few nights ago).

Most of the wounded men (the one injured woman was gone before we arrived) that were in the book are either still at Walter Reed or were here at some point since we’ve been here, so I’ve seen them mobile, for some, that means walking, for others, it’s in a wheelchair. I’ve seen them alive and doing relatively well. I didn’t know them before their injuries, and I didn’t know them when things were at their worst, so it was interesting to read the book and learn more about, not just their stories, but how their stories touched their families. What their families went through when they received the call that their loved one was injured.

I would encourage you, my friends and family, to read this book. Read the stories of these injured men and woman and their amazing mothers and keep them all in your thoughts and prayers. Many are still at Walter Reed recovering from their injuries and working toward their “new normal”. Others have been released and medically retired and in the next chapter of their lives – living with their injuries outside of the hospital setting and their mothers transitioning from 24/7 caretaker to whatever role is needed and rejoining the rest of their families. It’s not an easy life, but even in the difficulties, there are many blessings and the stories of these men and women show that just as my family’s story does. Injuries aren’t the end, they’re just the beginning of a very different chapter.

Here are links to purchase the book from Amazon or Barnes and Noble:


Here are some of the Facebook pages that I could find if you would like to follow the continued progress and show your support for the wounded service members and their families:




No comments:

Post a Comment