Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Thoughts on Veterans Day

All my life I have been surrounded by veterans. Both of my grandfathers served in the military, one in the Air Force and one in the Army. The pastor of the church my family attended when I was very young was a Vietnam veteran. The youth pastor at the church I grew up in and still attend (though for the past 6 years, it’s only been during visits) served in the Marines. He is now the senior pastor at a church out of state, but he had quite an impact on many of us who went through the youth group while he was there. From that youth group before, during, and after the time I was in it, many of the youth chose to serve in our military in all of the branches – Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard. Some are still serving right now. Of the ones of us who didn’t serve in the military, quite a few of us married someone in the military (and some both served and married someone who served). We were thankful to get to see Pastor Ernie and his wife again when they visited us at Walter Reed last year. Many others through my life have been veterans – men and women from various churches I have attended, people I’ve worked with, since marrying Justin I’ve met many active duty Army service members, and during our time at Walter Reed, many injured from all branches. I am thankful for all of them and the many sacrifices they have made and are currently making for our country.

One specific group of veterans that I’m especially thankful for on a personal level are the ones responsible for getting Justin back to our family alive. If not for them and their quick work stopping the bleeding, for them radioing for a helicopter as soon as they realized Justin was injured, for them safely getting Justin down the mountain, for the helicopter pilots arriving quickly and getting Justin to the field hospital in record time, and for all the medical personnel from the time he reached the field hospital to today who have cared for Justin, my life would be far different than it is now. June 9, 2013 could have ended tragically, but it didn’t. Yes, it’s horrible that Justin was injured, but he’s alive. He’s alive because of them, and I will always be thankful for the gift they gave me of having my husband return on a gurney rather than in a casket. Sure, I would have preferred the traditional homecoming ceremony where I anxiously waited in the bleachers to see him walk onto the field with his guys, but seeing him wheel onto the field to meet his guys as they returned was pretty awesome too.


To all my veteran friends and family, thank you for your service. To all my friends with family members in the military (both current and formerly), thank you for supporting your loved one as they serve(d). Happy Veterans Day!


Bubba - my dad's dad who served in the Air Force. I wish I had a military pic of my other grandfather with me to post.


Justin about to leave for his first deployment

Justin about to leave for his second deployment

Second deployment homecoming

expert infantry badge ruck march

Justin and his squad during his third deployment

Justin and his platoon - so thankful for these men who saved his life

June 9, 2013 shortly before he was injured (aka the last legs picture)

Justin receiving his purple heart

at the homecoming ceremony for his guys - Justin seeing his platoon sergeant for the first time since the day he was injured

with his guys at the homecoming ceremony saluting during the National Anthem






No comments:

Post a Comment