Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving - part 4

Here’s the final part of my list…a day late, but it’s been a crazy week.


22)      I’m thankful that Justin and I made it down to Florida safely. This past Tuesday Justin and I said good-bye to Walter Reed for good (Corey has been in Florida for a few weeks already). It was hectic getting to that point with plenty of hoops to jump through, but we made it. Reality hasn’t quite set in that we’re home for good rather than just on vacation, but it will in time.
23)      I’m thankful for the time Justin was able to serve in the military. Knowing what he knows now, he wouldn’t have changed anything. He still would have joined the Army, still would have volunteered for his third deployment. I’m so proud of Justin and the job he’s done for the past nearly 9 years. It’s hard to believe that that chapter of his life – and our family’s life – is over.
24)      I’m thankful the gift of music. Music touches your heart in ways that spoken word can’t. There is a song to fit just about every situation or mood. I’m thankful that God has given me the ability to make music on my saxophone.
25)      I’m thankful for Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. It brings to mind time with family, great food, and an overall feeling of blessing and contentment. It’s one of the few holidays that doesn’t have a materialistic focus (which is probably why it is often skipped over and people go straight from Halloween to Christmas). It’s an uplifting holiday because people focus on blessings.
26)      I’m thankful for “Black Friday” shopping. I know it sounds funny to go from being thankful for a contentment type holiday to being thankful for shopping, but it’s true. For me, Black Friday isn’t about greed, it’s about finding the best deals so that I can stretch my dollars further in giving to the people I love. If I can get gifts for a cheaper price, I can afford to give them more. One of my favorite things about Christmas is seeing the look of surprise and happiness on someone’s face as they’re opening a gift that I gave them.
27)      I’m thankful for the little things in life that I used to take for granted that I now appreciate a lot more. Like getting groceries for example. At Walter Reed, it was quite an ordeal. I fought traffic to and from the store, got back to the complex, went through the gate security, called Justin to come downstairs, temporarily parked outside our building, unloaded the groceries onto a cart, parked the truck down the hill and across the street while Justin brought the cart to our 5th floor apartment, walked back across the street and up the hill to our building, took the elevator up to the 5th floor, unloaded the cart and put away the cold stuff, brought the cart back downstairs, went back up to our apartment, put away the rest of the groceries, and then collapsed from the whole ordeal and was too tired to cook any of the food that I had just purchased. And if I forgot something, it just would have to wait until the next week when I went to the store again. Now, I just pull into my driveway and unload the truck, put away the groceries and that’s the end of the story. If I forget something, there’s a grocery store less than 2 miles away. In Bethesda, a place less than 2 miles away could take 20 minutes but here, it takes 5. Life in a smaller city is so much simpler for me, and I’m thankful to be back in my comfort zone.
28)      I’m thankful that my son had a great birthday. Even with living in Germany, Georgia, and Maryland for all of Corey’s previous birthdays, we’ve always managed to work it out to spend Thanksgiving and Corey’s birthday in Florida with family. This year was extra special because we got to do more to celebrate. Justin and I gave Corey a swing set (which I’m thankful that my dad and brother-in-law assembled) and Justin’s side of the family chipped in and bought him a power wheel camo Jeep. He got some other nice presents, but those two are big ones that he couldn’t have before because we moved so much. Justin’s Granny and I took Corey to Chuck E. Cheese for lunch on his birthday and he had a great time. Then that evening, we went to my parents and they invited some friends over who have kids that Corey loves playing with. He played hard and slept great that night. Then the day after his actual birthday, we had our traditional family party to celebrate both Corey and my niece’s birthdays. (She’s 9 days older than Corey. We normally celebrate my nephew’s birthday as well, but he was sick.) It was a busy, fun-filled couple days, and it made my heart happy to see him having such a great time.
29)      I’m thankful for digital photography. I love taking pictures to capture memories. I’m not so young that I have only ever known digital pictures. I remember having to save up money to buy film for my camera. I had to be careful not to take too many pictures on the first day of a trip or I wouldn’t have enough film left on the last day. Then I had to get them developed. It was always a toss-up between paying more for the 1 hour or having to wait a few days to see if my pictures turned out. Now I can take as many pictures as I want, delete the ones that are blurry, and share pictures with friends and family with a few clicks of my mouse. And when you’re taking pictures of young kids, having that instant feedback on the screen is so helpful so you can make sure you got at least one good shot where everyone was looking and smiling.
30)      I’m thankful for my life. It hasn’t always been perfect and doesn’t always go according to my plans and desires, but I am blessed. I’ve learned many lessons through the difficult times. Even when times were tough, it wasn’t all bad. The past 18 months were rough, but I have so many good memories too. I hope that the memories of the difficult parts fade and all that’s left to remember is the laughter and the fun, the good people and the great times. I’m excited to see what new things will be on my thankful list in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment